Top posting users this week

I need some Frogzard sprites

Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am by V

Comments: 34

OUR DOMAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am by V

but I renewed it.

what have YOU done today, TR?

also I'm not sure if heartbleed effected us but you should probably not change your password, the jitterbug gang are working hard and they need …

Comments: 30

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Funnyjunk vs. The Oatmeal

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Funnyjunk vs. The Oatmeal

Post by DigDog on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:54 am

Anyone following this stuff? I'll give you a quick rundown:

Recently Funnyjunk hired Charles Carreon, a lawyer, to request $20k from Matthew Inman (the guy who runs The Oatmeal) for defamation or whatever.

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/funnyjunk_letter

Instead of paying for these hilariously unjustified allegations, Inman started a charity fundraiser. Some Oatmeal readers were severely displeased and decided to tell that personally to Carreon via phone and email.

Then Carreon said some stupid stuff to the press which shows that he has no idea how the internet works:

http://digitallife.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/12/12187665-cartoonist-turns-lawsuit-threat-into-100k-charity-fundraiser

And then Carreon decided to sue IndieGoGo, the website that hosts Inman's fundraiser. And because that wasn't enough he also sued the National Wildlife Federation and the American Cancer Society, the beneficiaries of Matthew Inman's fundraiser. Because that's how he rolls.

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/carreon

I'm intrigued how all of this will end.

DigDog
I'm not your mother

Number of posts : 3197
User Points : 141747

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Funnyjunk vs. The Oatmeal

Post by Cial on Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:30 am

Lolwut
Cial
I am your mother

Zard :
Number of posts : 3457
User Points : 139938

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine on Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:45 am

And because that wasn't enough he also sued the National Wildlife Federation and the American Cancer Society, the beneficiaries of Matthew Inman's fundraiser.
NO, THIS HAS TO BE SOME SORT OF TRICK.

I WONT BELIEVE THIS.
Peregrine
Justice
Justice

Zard : Peregrine's rock.
Number of posts : 2007
User Points : 748162

View user profile http://twitter.com/PerryPeregrine

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:58 am

That is hilarious.

~~~digdog sux club~~~
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard :
Number of posts : 4350
User Points : 1043164

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Now here's an interesting article: FunnyJunk lawyer's wife wades into fray, calls critics "nazi scumbags"

Tara Carreon wrote:This attack against FunnyJunk and Charles Carreon is an attack against law and order. Matt Inman is an Internet anarchist. Fascists always love an anarchist.

What kind of connections does someone have in the world to be this arrogant towards a lawyer? Think about it. Inman is WELL-CONNECTED! To me, that just means one thing: mafia.

Matt Inman seems to be the de facto leader of the modern American Hitler Youth
Also, did you know that Carreon wrote a poem (or song or whatever this is) about this?

Also also

Operation BearLove Good, Cancer Bad ended early this morning with total funds raised at $220,024.00 -- almost exactly 11 times the original goal of $20k. IndieGoGo takes 4%, so that puts the total money going to charity at $211,223.04.

I've been trying very hard not to post about all the insane drama surrounding Carreon and his better half and instead focusing on the fundraiser. Now that it's ended, I wanted to address some specific questions about how I'm donating the funds.

When will you pay the charities?
Carreon has provided notice that he intends to ask the court for a restraining order which will stop the transfer of funds from Indiegogo. If we can't get that silly bullshit dismissed, the money could be held up for days, weeks or months. Assuming we can, I should have the money in about a week.

Once the money is moved, I still plan on withdrawing $211k in cash and taking a photo to send to Charles Carreon and FunnyJunk, along with the drawing of Funnyjunk's mother. After the photo is mailed I'll be sending checks to the charities. I'll also post receipts as well as public confirmations from both charities that they received every penny that was promised.

Is all the money going to the National Wildlife Federation and the American Cancer Society?
Yes. Previously I stated that because the amount raised was so much larger than expected I was going to divide the money into four charities instead of two, but unfortunately Carreon's lawsuit claims that I'm holding an "illicit fundraiser" and not donating money where I said I would. To avoid further litigation with him, I decided to split the money between the original two charities. If Carreon wanted a minor victory, he got one here.

I'll keep posting updates about the fundraiser here, so check back soon.

-Oats
DigDog
I'm not your mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:41 am

Carreon claims victory, drops his lawsuit against The Oatmeal et al.
FunnyJunk lawyer says "Mission Accomplished", everyone else just shrugs.

Late Tuesday afternoon, Charles Carreon dropped his absurd federal lawsuit against The Oatmeal cartoonist Matt Inman, Indiegogo, The National Wildlife Federation, The American Cancer Society, and 100 unnamed Does in Northern California District Court. Theoretically, the whole crazy debacle should all be over.

But while it may look like Carreon has come to his senses, Ars called Carreon to comment and found him declaring the lawsuit a success. "Mission Accomplished," Carreon announced on the phone with Ars. We've heard that somewhere else before.

Carreon's statement is clearly in reference to this weekend's strange legal battles, in which Carreon updated his federal lawsuit against Inman to include a request for a temporary restraining order that would prevent fundraising website IndieGoGo from giving Inman the $220,000 his followers had raised in response to a defamation claim from Carreon and humor website FunnyJunk.

Inman, who secured legal help from the Electronic Frontier Foundation, was planning on photographing the funds before he sent them to the National Wildlife Federation and the American Cancer Society, while sending the photograph as a taunt. But Carreon sought to prevent Inman from claiming the money from fundraising website Indiegogo and then photographing the funds, claiming he wanted to prevent "a publicity stunt" that would also permit Inman a possible tax write off.

But as Ars wrote this morning, Inman decided to photograph his own money because of Carreon's complaint. The EFF stated that "Mr. Inman has decided to not withdraw the funds in order to photograph them. Instead (unwilling to allow Mr. Carreon to interfere further with his expressive activity) he decided to photograph his own funds."

Inman said in a separate sworn statement that, "in order to avoid having this lawsuit interfere with my expression and to avoid jeopardizing the funds from the campaign in any way, I withdrew funds from my own personal account and photographed those funds." IndieGoGo distributed the funds directly to the two charities. To Charles Carreon, that's a win.

When asked for further comment on his self-described success, Carreon described a shoot-from-the-hip mentality. "I haven't been commenting on litigation. I litigate," he said.

As legal blog Popehat points out, Carreon filed a Notice of Voluntary Dismissal today, but did so "without prejudice," meaning Carreon could still re-file in the future if he so desires. Popehat also noted that "voluntary dismissal of the action does not preclude Mr. Inman from seeking attorney fees and costs." When asked whether he's worried about Inman or others seeking restitution fees of some sort, Carreon answered, "You don't instruct your adversaries. My adversaries instruct me."

Ars also contacted Senior Staff Attorney Kurt Opsahl, part of Inman's legal counsel from the EFF, who said, "I think he [Carreon] recognized that the lawsuit was not going anywhere, we filed a brief that outlined in tremendous detail why he was on the wrong side of the law." From Inman's right to practice free speech to the argument that Inman would not be considered (as Carreon claimed) a "commercial fundraiser" under California law, the EFF rebutted many of the claims that Carreon has made over the past few weeks.

”Inman said from the beginning that we was going to donate the money to charity, and he did donate the money to charity,” Opsahl said over the phone Tuesday evening. “The real reason for the lawsuit was to use a legal attack against a critic.”

When asked whether the EFF would pursue compensation for legal fees and attorney costs, Opsahl stopped short of saying the dismissal of charges would bring an end to the whole debacle. “I'd have to talk to my client, can't make an absolute statement on what or next step would be.”

But even if the defendants pursue attorney's fees, the attention might be worth it for Charles Carreon. After asking for comment on his voluntary dismissal of charges, Carreon lilted over the phone, "I'm famous, I'm notorious." Which, from the looks of it, is exactly what he wants.

(http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/07/carreon-claims-victory-drops-his-lawsuit-against-the-oatmeal-et-al/)
Looks like this is over and Carreon is still an idiot. It was a fun ride.

DigDog
I'm not your mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:51 am

Another fool grubbing for attention. I'm happy to see a successful charity unite the internet.

~~~digdog sux club~~~
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard :
Number of posts : 4350
User Points : 1043164

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:26 am

As promised, here's the photo of $211,223.04 in cash we raised for charity.

DigDog
I'm not your mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: