Top posting users this week

I need some Frogzard sprites

Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am by V

Comments: 34

OUR DOMAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am by V

but I renewed it.

what have YOU done today, TR?

also I'm not sure if heartbleed effected us but you should probably not change your password, the jitterbug gang are working hard and they need …

Comments: 30

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

CISPA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CISPA

Post by Onion Supreme on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Onion Supreme

Zard :
Number of posts : 116
User Points : 9940

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CISPA

Post by Cial on Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:55 am

I find this website kind of stupid. "Help us save the internet from the US?" does no one remember ACTA?
Cial
I am your mother

Zard :
Number of posts : 3457
User Points : 139942

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:42 am

What does ACTA have to do with that?
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Number of posts : 3197
User Points : 141751

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:24 am

It's not just the Amercian government that's supporting this kind of thing. And it boasts the statistic that "Over 100" congressmen are supporting it. A) Many congressmen are old men who don't understand how a walkman works, let alone the internet, and B) 100 congressmen is roughly 1/5 of the whole congress, it probably won't pass anyway, if they have any common sense.
Cial
I am your mother

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsebi on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:28 am

> Old does not mean retarded.
> They likely do understand it better than we think they do.
> Not all of them are old, or ignorant.
They just have their own motives: IE the companies they are affiliated with making money.
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Zard :
Number of posts : 2166
User Points : 72573

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:40 am

No, they literally don't understand how it works, I know because I actually, oh, I don't know, live here.

They were even showing clips of congressmen talking about how they supported SOPA and PIPA but clearly had no idea how it actually works.
Cial
I am your mother

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:35 am

Cial wrote:No, they literally don't understand how it works, I know because I actually, oh, I don't know, live here.

They were even showing clips of congressmen talking about how they supported SOPA and PIPA but clearly had no idea how it actually works.
That. Confirmed as truth.
DigDog
I'm not your mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsebi on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:17 pm

Some might not, but some certainly do.
Don't underestimate thee guys, if they really were that ignorant and thought ''it's no big deal'' they wouln't be forcing this down our throats.
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Zard :
Number of posts : 2166
User Points : 72573

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Onion Supreme on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:50 pm

I agree with Sebi, there are two possible alternatives:

a.)Congressmen are old fools, don't know about net, they drafted these plans themselves and are messing with the net on their own silly whims and don't care about the consequences.

b.)They personally may or may not know about how the net works, but that doesn't matter because their intent is to use their powers to dole out favours to corporations who pay them and in furthering the motive of the entire political class to tame a powerful medium of information and have more than enough resources to get suitable plans ready in their hands.

Let me think what is more probable in the most technologically capable country((where bribing politicians is legal)) and when the parties involved
are shrewd politicians and corporate interests.

As much as "a" is satisfying((ridiculing politicians and all that)) it doesn't hold out, at all. All the rhetoric along these lines is intentionally fed to the media to saturate the public imagination with safe ideas, safe because they water down *intentional and knowingly committed crimes* to mistakes of incompetency(("from "they have ulterior motives and are abusing their powers for personal gains in thralldom with corporate interests" to "they don't know what they are doing")) and completely take the onus away from corporations and places it entirely on politicians who are hardly harmed by it. It doesn't matter if you live there or not; old politicians were similarly talking about how Iraq needs to be invaded and when the truth ultimately came out, it was covered up with "whoops, we made a mistake!", aided by this very rhetoric.

This is only more confirmed by ACTA, is your hero Obama too an old man who doesn't understand the internet? As far as US not being the only country is concerned, things like ACTA don't get accepted by other western countries if US is not on board.
Onion Supreme

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial on Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:49 am

Barack Obama does understand the internet and even uses social media like Tumblr, Youtube and Facebook fairly regularly for weekly addresses and the like. And yes, A is, in some cases, the answer. There were segments on CNN and the Daily Show showing senators and other congressmen saying blatantly "I don't understand how the internet works very well, but this bill is supposed to stop people from stealing the work of others.". If it was really about bribes, then the ad company giants who are the ones really hurt by the bill, could certainly have members of the congress vote against it. Fortunately, this bill will most likely never pass, as the 1/5 of people who don't understand it in congress are just that, 1/5. Even so, the whole bill violates privacy as well as free speech amendments constitutionally, so the supreme court could very well dissolve it as a law. It probably won't even get that far though, because Obama will most certainly veto the bill if by some miracle it gets the majority vote it needs.
Cial
I am your mother

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog on Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:50 am

DigDog
I'm not your mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Onion Supreme on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:42 pm

http://rt.com/news/house-cispa-vote-thursday-083/

"The House of Representatives has approved Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act with a vote count of 248-168."

I don't think ad companies have enough money to counter the incentive of putting internet under surveillance. Didn't Obama sign NDAA even though he said he will veto it right from when the bill was being discussed till it came to his table? Oh yes, he did exactly that.
@DD: That link was cool.
Onion Supreme

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:27 pm

CISPA Veto Threatened By White House

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Wednesday threatened to veto a House bill designed to defend critical U.S. industries and corporate networks from electronic attacks by foreign governments, cybercriminals and terrorist groups, arguing the measure falls short in protecting civil liberties.

"Cybersecurity and privacy are not mutually exclusive," the administration said in a statement issued just as proponents of the bill made their case for the legislation at a House hearing.

The administration complained that the House bill, which has bipartisan support, would allow sharing of information with the government without requiring industry and the government to minimize and protect personal information.

The statement said that if the bill were presented to the president in its current form, his senior advisers would recommend a veto.

The House is schedule to begin work on the bill on Thursday, with a final vote on Friday. Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, and the panel's top Democrat, Rep. C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger of Maryland, announced changes to the bill on Tuesday to allay concerns of some lawmakers. Republicans said they expect the measure to pass despite the opposition of some lawmakers.

The administration backs a bill sponsored by Sens. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn., and Susan Collins, R-Maine, that would give Homeland Security the authority to set security standards. That bill remains stalled in the Senate.

Rep. Mac Thornberry, R-Texas, said Wednesday he hoped House passage of the bill would pressure the Democratic-controlled Senate to move on its legislation.
DigDog
I'm not your mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Onion Supreme on Tue May 01, 2012 3:28 am

Let's see how this turns out.
Onion Supreme

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog on Sat May 05, 2012 12:33 am

Mozilla comes out against CISPA

Mozilla, creators of the Firefox browser, and opponents of SOPA/PIPA, have now come out against CISPA.

CISPA, or Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, would create an information-sharing apparatus between private entities and the NSA. The worry is that in the name of national and corporate security, internet users’ privacy would be sacrificed.

Late Tuesday, Mozilla’s Privacy and Public Policy sent a letter to Forbes’ Andy Greenberg, which reads:

"While we wholeheartedly support a more secure Internet, CISPA has a broad and alarming reach that goes far beyond Internet security. The bill infringes on our privacy, includes vague definitions of cybersecurity, and grants immunities to companies and government that are too broad around information misuse. We hope the Senate takes the time to fully and openly consider these issues with stakeholder input before moving forward with this legislation."

CISPA enjoys wide support in the tech and telecommunications industry, with Facebook, Apple and Microsoft and others in favor of the legislation. With the bill having recently passed through the House and on its way to the Senate, perhaps Mozilla’s position will lead the way in a larger opposition effort.
DigDog
I'm not your mother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine on Sat May 05, 2012 3:17 am

Onion Supreme wrote:Didn't Obama sign NDAA even though he said he will veto it right from when the bill was being discussed till it came to his table? Oh yes, he did exactly that.

The difference in this case being that the re-elections are coming up.
Peregrine
Justice
Justice

Zard : Peregrine's rock.
Number of posts : 2007
User Points : 748166

View user profile http://twitter.com/PerryPeregrine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down