Top posting users this week

I need some Frogzard sprites

Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am by V

Comments: 34

OUR DOMAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am by V

but I renewed it.

what have YOU done today, TR?

also I'm not sure if heartbleed effected us but you should probably not change your password, the jitterbug gang are working hard and they need …

Comments: 30

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Mass Effect 3.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mass Effect 3.

Post by Leb on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Tags: Huge Disappointment, Second Blunder of the Century etc.

So. Mass Effect 3. The thrilling, long-waited last chapter to the story of Commander Shepard, fighting through the galaxy to stop all-consuming evil machines.

And Bioware screwed up the ending so bad that people are rating the game lower than Dragon Age 2. And it's not just "normal gamers" either that dislike the ending, even Bioware's own fans are unhappy. And that's quite an accomplishment, you know.

How many here bought the game? Did you think the ending was good? I still haven't bought the game, and depending how Bioware handles the outrage, probably never will. Which is a shame since I bought the earlier games and have 4 Shep's all ready to finish the series, and now I just can't bother since- Well let's not go into spoiler details. Unless people really want to.

Damn shame too, it looks like a really solid game until the ending comes out of nowhere and screws everything up.

On the bright side:

A screenshot was released today of one guy, from one place, releasing info that the ending sucks because Bioware was forced to rush it after the demo had the endings leaked. Apparently there will be "real ending DLC" coming up.

We can only wait and see if it's true, and most importantly, if it's pay-to-DL or not. Since it's EA, I bet it'll be pay-to-DL.
Leb
Murderbeard

Zard :
Number of posts : 420
User Points : 24766

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mass Effect 3.

Post by Xusha on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:43 pm

Kind of a shame. A game with more bugs than Skyrim, and an ending that left tens of thousands of people disappointed. It's like the new Devil May Cry game, only people had actually given this one a chance. I feel pretty sorry for Pere, I know he waited forever for this.

A little quote from Casey Hudson:
Spoiler:

"I didn't want the game to be forgettable, and even right down to the sort of polarizing reaction that the ends have had with people - debating what the endings mean and what's going to happen next, and what situation are the characters left in."

TL;DR
Deal with it.

Personally, I figured it would happen eventually. Most game series have at least one terrible game. Ex: DMC,
Silent Hill, Super Mario World 2, every Final Fantasy game after the original 7, Sonic, Tomb Raider... Well, you get my point.
Xusha
Active Poster
Active Poster

Zard :
Number of posts : 1130
User Points : 425617

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:35 pm

Xusha wrote:A game with more bugs than Skyrim
Sorry but I don't agree with this statement. I didn't get a single gamebreaking bug. In fact the only bug I noticed in a complete playthrough was when a turian slided by instead of walking, and you know what that was? HILARIOUS. Skyrim meanwhile I haven't played after gamebreaking bugs made me restart three times and I just gave up after that.

Maybe I was just lucky with ME3 and unlucky with Skyrim, but I had a blast without any bugs getting in the way of my experience. Until the ending that is which was extremely disappointing and I can only pray to God that they do have ending DLC on the way, because it managed to ruin not just ME3 but ME2 and maybe even ME1.
Peregrine
Justice
Justice

Zard : Peregrine's rock.
Number of posts : 2007
User Points : 748256

View user profile http://twitter.com/PerryPeregrine

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

I've never played a mass effect game but looking at all the pathetic things in this game made me laugh so hard and feel angry at the same time. Like the photoshopped stock images, multiple characters using the same model, sprites, winter on mars ending, femshep running animation, and everything else that sucked.
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Zard :
Number of posts : 3156
User Points : 226492

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:17 am

WORSE THAN THE TORTANIC
Cial
I am your mother

Zard :
Number of posts : 3457
User Points : 140032

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine on Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:20 am

Well as someone who played the game I'd give it a 9/10 up until the ending which is simply indescribable even with numbers.
Peregrine
Justice
Justice

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:29 am

Xusha wrote:Personally, I figured it would happen eventually. Most game series have at least one terrible game. Ex: DMC,
Silent Hill, Super Mario World 2, every Final Fantasy game after the original 7, Sonic, Tomb Raider... Well, you get my point.

Implying FFIX sucked.

I'm planning on getting the game, though I have not played ME1 or ME2 before... is the ending really that bad? And do you really want to pay extra for another ending?
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard :
Number of posts : 4350
User Points : 1043258

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:33 am

The ending really is that bad, so much so that for a hardcore Mass Effect fan who already has the game it is worth the extra for another ending. But current leaks indicate that possible replacement ending DLC will be free so while we're being hopeful for ending DLC let's also be hopeful for that.
Peregrine
Justice
Justice

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:58 am

Erik wrote:
Xusha wrote:Personally, I figured it would happen eventually. Most game series have at least one terrible game. Ex: DMC,

Implying FFIX sucked.

I'm planning on getting the game, though I have not played ME1 or ME2 before... is the ending really that bad? And do you really want to pay extra for another ending?
wait a minute what are you guys talking about, final fantasy X is amazing and 13 isn't even that bad. 13-2 looks really good too.
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:45 am

I don't like Final Fantasy. Any of them. It's just boring to me. I'm sure it's fun or whatever, but I don't have the patience for the whack storylines. For example, if you have 15 different games where they're all either "I'm a ghost football player from space sent to fight ghosts that come out of a lake" or "Oooh look space" It's time to cut your losses and just make them different IPs. I'm more interested in fresh new original stuff.
Cial
I am your mother

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Gaskarth on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:00 am

I haven't played, nor will I play mass effect 3 purely because of this rumoured "Ending" DLC. That is the single most disgusting thing I've ever heard and I hope Bioware feels stupid for having to do it. EA is a piece of crap which is shamelessly whoring out a well known and loved franchise.

I urge you guys to give EA a massive F**K you and not to buy the ending DLC if it comes out.
Tom Gaskarth
Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed

Zard :
Number of posts : 1991
User Points : 84005

View user profile http://twitter.com/IFlyDragons

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:23 am

The only way for me to buy ME3 now is if they will go down the route of releasing an actual closure to the game. Right now, to answer Erik, the series is like this:

Spoiler:

You spend ME1 finding out about a horrible plot(in what it results in, not that it's horrible as in story) of a super-advanced machine race showing up to "kill" all organic life, then put a stop to their invasion.

In ME2, you find out that the invasion can still occur, it was told about already in ME1 but anyway. ME2 is sort of Bioware stalling on the plot to figure out what to do, but the game is actually pretty good. It improves on the combat parts that ME1 had, but sort of dumbs down on stuff like special abilities(the system isn't that bad though so whatever). By the end of ME2, you once again screw over the Reaper plans to invade and slow down their attack even more by finishing Arrival DLC(if you didn't buy it, you still will have completed it in ME3 fluff-wise).

ME3 is where all your decisions in ME1 and ME2 show up, characters who are alive can contribute to your success in the final stages of the game, you forge alliances, gather an army to fight the Reapers who have shown up and are curb-stomping EVERYONE. Then in the end, the assault begins, all the fleets and soldiers you have gathered launch a massive assault on Earth, you right there with 'em on the ground to infiltrate the Citadel and finish the job thanks to an ancient "super-weapon" that has been slowly built by different races in all of the Reaper cycles. None have been able to successfully use it to defeat the Reapers, but you intend to be the one who does it.

Then comes the ending, where it turns out that all your choices from the previous games actually have no meaning in which option you choose. There are 3. The game lists 16 or was it 17 endings, but the only thing that's different for 'em is how much you had "galactic readiness" or whatever. For example, go with one option, below 4k points, Shepard dies. Above 5k points, Shepard lives.

It's not that the endings are sad, it's that all the choices you do don't really impact the outcome to make you feel like anything you did in the games was worth anything, except in one route where Shepard may survive. But even then, the ending specified there is bleak.

And to make it even worse, the game ends with an old man going "AND THAT WAS THE STORY OF THE SHEPARD", it was all a story that he's telling to a kid. So the kid goes "IS THAT REALLY WHAT HAPPENED" and the old man says "WELL SOME OF THE DETAILS HAVE BEEN LOST."

So in the end, when you finish ME3, you get no closure on what actually happened to the galaxy you tried so damn hard to save through all the games. Everything you did, the people you saved or killed, the hard decisions all are handwaved away with "THE DETAILS HAVE BEEN LOST."

If they had actually bothered to put real closure to the game, things would be fine. But right now, we as players have no damn idea what we even accomplished, if anything. The indoctrination theory is nice on this part, but again, that means that the game ends before we actually manage to end it. Shepard survives, and then what? What happened next? We just don't know, and I feel that for fans of the games, it's a major slap to the face.

It's like Bioware tried to be deep all of a sudden, and they forgot that MAYBE they should make an ending that would let us finish the story of our Shepard and know that in the end, we managed to do something.

Even when they said that for one ending it may be possible for Reapers to win, it'd be fine if it was along the lines of "you weren't prepared enough, try again harder by replaying."
Leb
Murderbeard

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:39 am

Cial wrote:I don't like Final Fantasy. Any of them. It's just boring to me. I'm sure it's fun or whatever, but I don't have the patience for the whack storylines. For example, if you have 15 different games where they're all either "I'm a ghost football player from space sent to fight ghosts that come out of a lake" or "Oooh look space" It's time to cut your losses and just make them different IPs. I'm more interested in fresh new original stuff.

But the only thing the same in any of them is the battle system, which still changes at least somewhat every game. Recently it's been changing a LOT in FF13/13-2.

Anyways this is a ME3 thread, and I don't really have much to say because I've never played the franchise.
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:49 am

If you enjoy scifi games and space operas, I would actually recommend at least trying ME1. If you enjoy that, you probably would find ME2 decent as well, even when the plot isn't as strong as it was on ME1.

ME3 though... Well right now I would suggest that you start denying it ever existing, and that your galaxy saving was done in ME2.

I would also recommend Erik to start the series from ME1 if possible(it's available for the PC and 360, ME2 and ME3 are for PS3 as well). If you start it on ME3, it'll only leave a sour taste on the whole series. Right now, I see no reason to replay ME3 after finishing it as it is, or even replaying any of the other games afterwards.
Leb
Murderbeard

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:41 am

Leb wrote:The only way for me to buy ME3 now is if they will go down the route of releasing an actual closure to the game. Right now, to answer Erik, the series is like this:

Spoiler:

You spend ME1 finding out about a horrible plot(in what it results in, not that it's horrible as in story) of a super-advanced machine race showing up to "kill" all organic life, then put a stop to their invasion.

In ME2, you find out that the invasion can still occur, it was told about already in ME1 but anyway. ME2 is sort of Bioware stalling on the plot to figure out what to do, but the game is actually pretty good. It improves on the combat parts that ME1 had, but sort of dumbs down on stuff like special abilities(the system isn't that bad though so whatever). By the end of ME2, you once again screw over the Reaper plans to invade and slow down their attack even more by finishing Arrival DLC(if you didn't buy it, you still will have completed it in ME3 fluff-wise).

ME3 is where all your decisions in ME1 and ME2 show up, characters who are alive can contribute to your success in the final stages of the game, you forge alliances, gather an army to fight the Reapers who have shown up and are curb-stomping EVERYONE. Then in the end, the assault begins, all the fleets and soldiers you have gathered launch a massive assault on Earth, you right there with 'em on the ground to infiltrate the Citadel and finish the job thanks to an ancient "super-weapon" that has been slowly built by different races in all of the Reaper cycles. None have been able to successfully use it to defeat the Reapers, but you intend to be the one who does it.

Then comes the ending, where it turns out that all your choices from the previous games actually have no meaning in which option you choose. There are 3. The game lists 16 or was it 17 endings, but the only thing that's different for 'em is how much you had "galactic readiness" or whatever. For example, go with one option, below 4k points, Shepard dies. Above 5k points, Shepard lives.

It's not that the endings are sad, it's that all the choices you do don't really impact the outcome to make you feel like anything you did in the games was worth anything, except in one route where Shepard may survive. But even then, the ending specified there is bleak.

And to make it even worse, the game ends with an old man going "AND THAT WAS THE STORY OF THE SHEPARD", it was all a story that he's telling to a kid. So the kid goes "IS THAT REALLY WHAT HAPPENED" and the old man says "WELL SOME OF THE DETAILS HAVE BEEN LOST."

So in the end, when you finish ME3, you get no closure on what actually happened to the galaxy you tried so damn hard to save through all the games. Everything you did, the people you saved or killed, the hard decisions all are handwaved away with "THE DETAILS HAVE BEEN LOST."

If they had actually bothered to put real closure to the game, things would be fine. But right now, we as players have no damn idea what we even accomplished, if anything. The indoctrination theory is nice on this part, but again, that means that the game ends before we actually manage to end it. Shepard survives, and then what? What happened next? We just don't know, and I feel that for fans of the games, it's a major slap to the face.

It's like Bioware tried to be deep all of a sudden, and they forgot that MAYBE they should make an ending that would let us finish the story of our Shepard and know that in the end, we managed to do something.

Even when they said that for one ending it may be possible for Reapers to win, it'd be fine if it was along the lines of "you weren't prepared enough, try again harder by replaying."

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do in terms of getting one of the games to play. Sounds like a crappy enough franchise ending to me, I mean, it was okay when they did it in Gears of War 2... or was it 1... anyways, you knew there was going to be a sequel. It honestly does sound like a big f*** off to anyone who enjoyed the storyline of the games.
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:23 pm

At least Gears of War 3 ending has you accomplishing something. The big bad is DEFINITELY defeated, even when the tragic twist in the story was blatantly obvious.

But even so, good night sweet prince. I couldn't live without you.

Also, just this once, I feel like I truly have a connection with a playerbase of a game series that I too enjoy:

I'd give these people a hug, but I'm too busy being at stage 4/5.
Leb
Murderbeard

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:33 pm

At least there's a sense of community. My recent game choices have been against the tide of players, and I can't make an opinion without being yelled at.

A lot of people have been streaming ME3 online play, and I like the idea of a third person shooter with unique abilities like being able to do some sort of teleport/lunge at somebody.

~~~digdog sux club~~~
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:46 pm

Vanguards get that, but it only appears from ME2 onwards.
ME1 biotic abilities are much more limited. It's more like a space fireball spell. Along the lines of Throw, Lift, Warp and Singularity. Shockwave is hilaaaaaaaarious in ME2 though.
Leb
Murderbeard

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xusha on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Well, this is actually a clever way to abuse people into buying a DLC.
Xusha
Active Poster
Active Poster

Zard :
Number of posts : 1130
User Points : 425617

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Not so much when your stocks are going down because of it.
Peregrine
Justice
Justice

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:34 am

Your icecream is going to get wet in the shower
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:50 am

Tragedy begets tragedy.
Leb
Murderbeard

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by V on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:47 am

V
agina

Zard :
Number of posts : 3751
User Points : 10235384

View user profile http://www.trforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:03 am

>that feel when V beats you to the repost-from-reddit punch.

Feels bad man.
Cial
I am your mother

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:04 am

Can anyone explain the 3 endings to me? I heard they were similar to Deus Ex's endings but I'm not sure on that and I don't want to assume anymore than i already do.
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Zard :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next